Going On A Road Trip? Stay Healthy With These 7 Tips
Scenic highways, windows down, your favorite music — road trip season is almost here. While you are planning out your route and packing list, be sure to include health preparedness. By taking basic care of your body during long car rides, you can create a more enjoyable experience in general. Follow these basic tips for staying well during your trip.
- Stay Hydrated: While it may be tempting to avoid liquids to minimize bathroom breaks, it is always important to stay hydrated. Dehydration throws off your body’s equilibrium, and if it gets serious enough, could lead to a visit to an urgent care clinic or hospital. Keep a water bottle with you at all times.
- Pack Healthy Snacks: Roadside stops do not always have the most nutritious options. Avoid fast food drive-thrus by packing plenty of healthy food ahead of time.
- Avoid Distractions: Do not text and drive, or engage in any other activity that could be distracting. Not having your eyes on the road could cause a car accident. If you must make a phone call or send a text, pull off the road.
- Stop To Stretch: Keep your muscles loose and circulation flowing by stopping to stretch. While pausing at a rest area, take a short walk or do some light exercises.
- Bring A Friend: When driving long distances, it is best to avoid making the trip alone. Having a friend with you can help you stay alert, and the two of you can take turns driving.
- Stay Awake: Get plenty of sleep between travel days and listen to your body. If you find yourself nodding off at the wheel, pull off the road immediately. Driving while drowsy is a hazard to yourself and other drivers.
- Locate Medical Facilities: There are approximately 6,800 urgent care clinics in the United States. As you make overnight stops along your road trip, be sure to know where the closest medical center is. It is best to be completely prepared in a medical emergency.
If you have any specific health needs, be sure to speak with a medical care provider before you start your road trip. They will make sure that all of your care is accounted for during your journey. Just as you have meticulously checked your packing list, you should be precise in accounting for your health during long car rides.